Catholic Leaders Warn Kabila Over Fragile DR Congo Deal

A deal struck last month requiring Congo President Joseph Kabila to step down after elections this year risks unraveling if politicians do not quickly reach compromises on implementing the accord, Catholic bishops mediating the talks said on Monday. The Dec. … Continued

The post Catholic Leaders Warn Kabila Over Fragile DR Congo Deal appeared first on Zambia Reports.

A deal struck last month requiring Congo President Joseph Kabila to step down after elections this year risks unraveling if politicians do not quickly reach compromises on implementing the accord, Catholic bishops mediating the talks said on Monday. The Dec. 31 deal was greeted as a critical step toward averting a slide into anarchy and possibly civil war in Democratic Republic of Congo over Kabila’s decision to remain in power when his mandate expired last month. The accord, signed by representatives of Kabila’s ruling coalition and the main opposition bloc, bars Kabila from trying to change the constitution to stand for a third term in an election to be held by the end of this year. But talks this month on implementing components of the deal have stalled, Congo’s Catholic Bishops Conference (CENCO) said in a statement. “The CENCO launches an appeal to the negotiators to … not lose sight of the main objective of these negotiations, which is organizing the elections in less than a year,” it said. “The CENCO is not prepared to mediate indefinitely without results.” The main obstacles include a disagreement over the composition of a council to monitor progress toward elections and whether the main opposition bloc must allow Kabila to choose from multiple prime ministerial candidates. Kabila has ruled the giant central African country since his father’s assassination in 2001 and the extension of his mandate saw violent protests in which security forces killed at least 40 people. Congo has never experienced a peaceful transition of power and millions have died in conflicts in the country’s east since 1996, most from hunger and disease. Also on Monday, Congo’s government spokesman Lambert Mende told Reuters Human Rights Watch’s (HRW) Central Africa director Ida Sawyer was expelled from the country for falsifying her name on immigration documents. Sawyer, a vocal critic of rights abuses by authorities, returned to Congo last week after being forced to leave in August when the government refused to renew her visa. HRW said in a statement Sawyer had a valid visa and quoted executive director Kenneth Roth as saying the expulsion “throws into question the Congolese government’s commitment to reversing the climate of repression that reigns in the country.” Source: Reuters The post Catholic Leaders Warn Kabila Over Fragile DR Congo Deal appeared first on Zambia Reports.

source: Zambia Reports

Nyamadzawo Strikes On First Game

[Botswana Daily News] Molepolole -Former Gilport Lions’ hitman, Tendai nyamadzawo struck once to help his new team, Mochudi Centre Chiefs match BDF XI in his very first game Friday night in the BTC premiership league game in Molepolole.

[Botswana Daily News] Molepolole -Former Gilport Lions' hitman, Tendai nyamadzawo struck once to help his new team, Mochudi Centre Chiefs match BDF XI in his very first game Friday night in the BTC premiership league game in Molepolole.

source: AllAfrica News: Botswana

Widows Deprived of Property Rights

[HRW] Harare -Widows in Zimbabwe are routinely evicted from their homes and land, and their property is stolen by in-laws when their husbands die, Human Rights Watch said in a report released today. The government of Zimbabwe should urgently take steps…

[HRW] Harare -Widows in Zimbabwe are routinely evicted from their homes and land, and their property is stolen by in-laws when their husbands die, Human Rights Watch said in a report released today. The government of Zimbabwe should urgently take steps to protect widows from this practice.

source: AllAfrica News: Zimbabwe

Court Names 1,500 to Terrorist List

[HRW] Beirut -An Egyptian criminal court decision on January 12, 2017, designating about 1,500 citizens “terrorists” for their alleged assistance to the Muslim Brotherhood reflects the authorities’ indiscriminate use of broad counterterrorism laws, Hum…

[HRW] Beirut -An Egyptian criminal court decision on January 12, 2017, designating about 1,500 citizens "terrorists" for their alleged assistance to the Muslim Brotherhood reflects the authorities' indiscriminate use of broad counterterrorism laws, Human Rights Watch said today. Using these laws to impose penalties on people without giving them a chance to defend themselves seriously violates their rights to due process.

source: AllAfrica News: Egypt

Govt Dismisses Anti-Immigrants Crusade Reports

[The Herald] The government of South Africa yesterday dismissed as false reports that they will conduct an anti-immigrants crusade, where they would carry out mass deportations of all foreigners living in that country. Since the beginning of the year, …

[The Herald] The government of South Africa yesterday dismissed as false reports that they will conduct an anti-immigrants crusade, where they would carry out mass deportations of all foreigners living in that country. Since the beginning of the year, social media has been awash with xenophobia-motivated attack messages indicating that foreigners, including Zimbabweans living in that country, would be targeted starting from yesterday.

source: AllAfrica News: South Africa

Bantolo to Grow Indigenous Music

[Botswana Daily News] Tutume -Thirty-seven-year-old, Jimson Richard of Bantolo Traditional Group, has high hopes of growing indigenous music. So far, he has six albums recorded in Ikalanga.

[Botswana Daily News] Tutume -Thirty-seven-year-old, Jimson Richard of Bantolo Traditional Group, has high hopes of growing indigenous music. So far, he has six albums recorded in Ikalanga.

source: AllAfrica News: Botswana

Demonstration Arrests Spark U.S.$600 000 Lawsuit

[The Herald] A group of 12 indigenous businesspeople who were rounded up during the violent demonstrations that hit Harare’s central business district in August last year have slapped the police with a combined $645 000 suit for unlawful detention and …

[The Herald] A group of 12 indigenous businesspeople who were rounded up during the violent demonstrations that hit Harare's central business district in August last year have slapped the police with a combined $645 000 suit for unlawful detention and assault. The dozen seven women and five men accuse the police of unlawful detention, assault and various other forms of ill-treatment and violation of human rights.

source: AllAfrica News: Zimbabwe